Saturday, March 20, 2010

Rocco and his brothers (1960)

At 00:00 I thought: I guess Visconti made a few good movies, let's try this. At 01:30 I was totally fed up. Mostly with roguish men. A bunch of brothers who move from the South to the northern City / moral hardening / a screeching, pudgy matron with an quasi-Oedipal relationship to all her sons / a girl who chooses first one of the brothers for her lover, then another one. I see nothing interesting about this film. Not the story, not its style. I turned the thing off and went to bed, leaving the hord of brothers behind, trapped on that scrappy VHS tape. If you consider watching this movie, have a look at the plot keywords at IMDB: "prostitute", "widow", "boxer", "murder". In this case, it's an apt description of what this movie is about.

2 comments:

  1. Damn, I´ve saved this film for years/not bothered to watch it. It sounds like a real letdown.

    u.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehe.
    Men titeln, "Rocco och hans bröder", varslar ju iofs. om att det knappast kan vara en bra film?

    ReplyDelete