Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Atonement (2007)


I watched the first hour of Atonement. I am pretty sure I cannot bear to finish it. Even though the film has several well-developed themes, the style is, to me, quite unbearable. Incessant big gestures; five orchestras play music – everything little twitch of event is filled to the brim with The Ominous Feel. In the first part of the film, we see like a million moments of Repressed and not so repressed Sexuality, witnessed by a child. There are miscomprehensions, which have drastic results. Then there's the War and... Things are building up for drama big time. – But as the first half of the film is so stuffed with Dramatic Turns, I have little hope that it will get any better.Maybe the book is better than the film. Ian McEwan is a good author who know his craft, in the best sense. As a film this is not good at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment