Sunday, February 3, 2013

All over me (1997)

I think of Hal Hartley a few times while watching All over me (dir. Alex Sichel) even though the everyday never becomes as outlandish as it does in a Hartley movie. But yeah, the lines are understated, and the film keeps a languid pace (which I like). The soundtrack hints at what kind of movie this is: Babes in toyland, Sleater-Kinney and Ani DiFranco. Good music. In one of the best scenes, Patti Smith's Pissing in the River has a prominent role. As a film about young adults and their angst this is a quite decent film, a decent film about repressed desire and homophobia as well. And Hell's kitchen looked gritty, I liked how the locations became a very important part of the film's very core. The downside of the film is the story about a crime and how the characters all had to deal with it in their own way (one of the main character's boyfriend was involved). To me, this twist of the story felt quit unnecessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment