Thursday, January 9, 2014

The Holy Mountain (1973)

The Holy Mountain may be a cult movie and that's why I watched it. That was a bad, immature decision. Sorry fans of Jodorowsky, but The Holy Mountain was a very, very, very bad film. It tried hard being far-out, trippy, hallucinatory, psychedelic - but it ended up as a rather repulsive hodge-podge of very predictable themes and images intended to shock or outrage us. I wasn't outraged, or thrilled, I was bored. It's hard give a summary of what the film is or where it is going - I guess it might not have been that clear to Jodorowsky. There's a Christ figure, a strange tower that takes him to a guru that have brought together a few candidates for Enlightenment (they're from different planets....) and together this gang sets out on a well you know journey of the soul, a journey that is to end in liberation from worldly temptations and the shackles of the I. ... Or that's what I think is going on. What I got from the film was that a) I am quite suspicious of the word 'spirituality' b) for a bunch of people the most exciting images on film, if you want to be weird & Different, is showing lots and lots of naked people and crawling insects c) surrealism can be outrageously predictable d) if 'spiritual symbols' are cluttered in a circular room stuffed with naked people, the result will not be interesting. - - - AVOID.

No comments:

Post a Comment