Thursday, June 23, 2016

Mask (1985)


I was a child when I first watched Peter Bogdanovich’s Mask. In fact, it was one of those films that I watched over and over again, its sadness never failing to touch me. As a grown-up, I was a bit surprised that I still found myself moved by the story, but perhaps in a little different way when I saw it as a kid. The sugary parts didn’t bother me as much as I would have thought and most of all I liked how Bogdanovich conjures up a small world of mother, child and – a friendly motorcycle gang, friends of the family. The kid with the disfigured skull is a sympathetic character and it is hard not to be charmed by Eric Stoltz’ a bit sentimental acting. But the best thing about Mask is actually Cher – she plays the tough mother who scares the shit out of a school principle. She does lots of drugs and hangs out with motorcycle guys – and she seems to be a lovely mother. Mask is basically a story about their relationship. A coming-of-age romance is thrown in, but that is perhaps what strikes me as embarrassing about the film when I watch it today - even though it is fun to watch a young Laura Dern do her version of a girl next door.

No comments:

Post a Comment