Monday, December 2, 2013

Disgrace (2008)

JM Coetzee's Disgrace was such a good book that I was curious to see how it would be adapted into the movie screen. Actually the director, Steve Jacobs, mostly does a good job. The beginning of the film was disappointing - it didn't quite capture the icy horror the book conjured up - even though John Malkovich's rendering of the university professor David Lurie is both peculiar and quite captivating in its extreme mannerisms. The film goes the safe way in interpreting the book. As a film, it doesn't stand alone, I think. One problem I had with the film that it is too elegant, especially in its use of music and the focus on breath-taking, vast landscapes. The vastness of the landscapes is of course important also in the book, but in the movie, it is too smooth. It is almost always a bad idea, I think, to let the camera float above the landscape treating us to "brilliant" bird-eye's views. Such views suits the material of the story badly. But yes, Disgrace is a perfectly tasteful film and a respectful transformation of Coetzee's novel, even though it doesn't stress the elements of the novels I would have emphasized, Lurie's relation to the dogs as a main example. I advice you to read the book if you haven't done so and forget about the film. (At least this film was better than the film adaptation of The Human Stain - I haven't read the book - which I remember as truly insufferable.)

No comments:

Post a Comment