Sunday, December 8, 2013

Funeral Procession of Roses (1969)

On paper, Funeral Procession of Roses (dir. Toshio Matsumoto) sound like a film I simply have to love: this experimental film tracks the underground gay culture in Tokyo. Somehow, the film failed to impress me. Technically innovative, yes, but the use of interesting cinematic technique, pop-art sensibility and genre-hopping was not put to use in a way that made me see the world differently, it was just technically endearing (the links to Godard, not exactly my favorite director, abound). Instead of the rather detached use of tricks, I would have like to get a closer view of the people in the film, or the community, or Tokyo, or something. The minimal frame of the story is the relations between a club owner, a go-go dancer and an aging drag queen. There's a lot of partying, erotic adventures, stylized fighting, eerie conversations (about Jonas Mekas for example) and some unnerving memories/fantasies. Maybe somebody would claim that I just not get it: the film is supposed to look scrambled and impressionistic, more disparate tableaux than a story. And generally, I tend to like that kind of thing, and it's not as if the subject lacks interest. But if there's something I like about Funeral procession of roses it's its incessant play with gender and sexuality. This is undoubtedly a queer film that mocks standard gender interpretations and that contains many ironic performances of gender stereotypes. Maybe its the twists involving Oedipus and inner demons that for me makes the film flounder. Extravagant - yes. But this time around I was not thrilled by the extravaganza on display.

No comments:

Post a Comment